Hey everyone! So my amazing brother kinda encouraged me to update my old blog after I read his. He is doing amazing over in Iraq, serving our nation. So Logan, this blog is for you!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

A restless evil, full of deadly poison

Does anyone know what I am talking about??? I'll give you a hint: James 3:8-10... ring a bell? I am talking about the TONGUE.
"but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With
the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have
been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.
My brothers, this should not be." James 3:8-10


In our dorm meeting last Monday, we looked at many different passages dealing with the "untameable tongue." By the end of our discussion, we had all concluded the same thing: that our tongues were made to encourage each other instead of bring others down. We should not let what rolls off the tongue contradict the godly lifestyle we have chosen to live as well as profess to live. This includes "kidding around." It's very easy as friends to say something that might be less-than encouraging. However, when we stop to think about this, a variety of outcomes are possible.

In view of our calling to witness, we must watch what comes out of the mouth. One possible outcome of "kidding around" pertains to the unbeliever. Imagine that you are in a group setting, mixed with both believers and unbelievers. You say something to your close friend that can be taken as hurtful. Now, that person may know, through having a relationship with you that the comment should be passed off as nothing. However, think about the unbeliever(s) in this group. If they do not know you as well, they will see this comment as hurtful. Where is the love of God in this? I am absolutely positive they will not see it, for it is not there. Rather, we should always be ready to encourage so that others will see a picture of the love of God.

Another outcome pertains to the one the statement was directed to. They appear to shrug off the comment at that moment, but what if they leave the area and Satan uses that comment to put doubt in their mind. They may begin to wonder if you really meant it or not. Those words will always be in their mind and may hinder them from future service for the King.

Rather than use words that in no way portray the attributes of our Savior, Jesus Christ, it is important that we encourage each other. I mentioned a tactic I used at the daycare for the kids when they had a problem with insults. For every bad statement about another or themselves they made, they then had to think of ten positive, non-superficial statements about that same person. So from this we (the ladies in our dorm meeting) were encouraged to use this same tactic in our lives, only we narrowed it down to five positives. Since that day, I find that I have had to use that rule more than anyone else. It has, however, caused me to think about how often I say harsh words to others as a joke. It also has caused me to think about all the attributes others contain that encourage me daily.

I sugguest that you take on this challenge as well. You might be surprized at the results!

No comments: